- June 10: UITP Awards 2019 Finalists Poster Session 2
Private Business Model to implement electric mobility in public transport in the city of Santiago"The project’s objective was to implement a fully operational electric bus fleet in Santiago’s Public Transport System, targeting both economic and environmental sustainability. The project reached 102 electric buses in the capital city of Chile.
Metbus coordinated the entire supply chain encouraging deeper integration within the operation. Enel X, the power supplier, also supplied buses, charging infrastructure and financing for the operation. Additionally, Metbus worked closely with bus manufacturer BYD to reach a high performance maintenance agreement.
In this way, the project reduced the risk for the bus operator, sharing it with the rest of the supply chain, and overcame barriers like:
• Public Sector with other pressing investment priorities and little resources for electromobility
• Risk perceived due to the little global experience in battery electric buses
• Higher investment costs compared to ICE buses
• Perceived need to adapt the operation of buses due to e-bus constraints"